Monday, August 25, 2008
A book for the complacent
Last week Michele (who I babysit for) told me there is an opening at the day care for Nathan. I'll have him for only two more weeks. This is bitter sweet for me, more time, less money, etc. The thing I'm thinking about a lot is how to speak into Michele's life in these last few days. She is in the habit of coming over on her lunch to hang out with me and see Nathan. She says she wants to keep doing this, but I'm not sure how long it will last, especially when we start school.
Michele is an avid reader, so I'm thinking of giving her a book on Nathan's last day. I'm not sure what book though. I was thinking maybe C.S. Lewis, but the only books of his I have read are the Chronicles of Narnia (she has read these too). Can anyone suggest a book? Michele went to church with a friend as a kid and says she believes in God, she may even call herself a Christian, but she believes all good people go to heaven. She knows God is Love, but she doesn't understand God is Just.
-Sara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think a book by Philip Yancey would grab most people. Something about his writing is fresh and very easy for today's reader. Either "The Jesus I Never Knew" or "What's So Amazing About Grace"
Here is a review: "In The Jesus I Never Knew, Yancey explores the life of Jesus, as he explains, "'from below,' to grasp as best I can what it must have been like to observe in person the extraordinary events unfolding in Galilee and Judea" as Jesus traveled and taught. Yancey examines three fundamental questions: who Jesus was, why he came, and what he left behind. Step by step, scene by scene, Yancey probes the culture into which Jesus was born and grew to adulthood; his character and mission; his teachings and miracles; his legacy--not just as history has told it, but as he himself intended it to be."
"Philip Yancey was awarded the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year award for this book (The Jesus I Never Knew) in 1996 by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. It's not the first, nor the last, award Yancey has won for his writing. But the writing is not necessarily the great gift of this book. Yancey allows the reader to discover, along with him.
Grace & peace, Michael
Post a Comment